Number of residents : 1.439
Height sea : m 420
Distance from Riccione : km 28
The history of the municipality
The name of the place, evolutosi Corsican in the centuries (Mons-Monte Damarum Daino-Mondaino), referring perhaps to deer present, a time in large quantities in the forests of the area. Founders alleged the town was the Etruscans who settled along the main valleys of the Apennines Adriatic coast, having undermined the Umbrians. The Roman led the organization of territory divided into various towns and productive among which are the Vicus Dianensis, famous for the presence of a temple dedicated to Diana huntress. Subsequent eras saw Mondaino protagonist of the main historical events in the area. In lombard was built a church dedicated to Sant 'Apollinare Martyr, which testifies to the role of cultural and social pole covered the town. In 1069 lord of the castle was a certain Peter Bennone rich Rimini, who gave in San Pier Damiani.
The alliance with Malatesta date of 1289 when Mondaino, along with other castles of Rimini, passed by the family of encouraging blasonata climbing to power in Rimini. The trade in mineral extracted from the local Rio Salso, helped in the development of the Middle Ages and employs numerous craft shops, by 1 'plant a dense network. Mondaino is mentioned in the fourteenth century and chronicles fifteenth as the land of pact. In 1393, in the hall of the castle, Carlo Malatesta signed peace with the eternal enemy Antonio da Montefeltro. In the next century, in 1459, Sigismondo Malatesta Pandolfo met for the same reason Frederick II, duke of Urbino, at the convent founded centuries ago by St. Francis on nearby Mount Formosino. In 1462 the Treaty with Malatesta was now a distant memory and after several attempts Federico conquered the castle Mondaino to donate them to the Church.
Among the most significant events of a fact we should remember, of course not unusual for those days, which has thrown a shadow mysterious but on our day: the uncomfortable presence of a ghost that he enjoys handling the quiet days of mondainesi (think it was even promoted a twinning with some Scottish castles). In fact, 1516 was murdered on the way home from a betrayed husband, the poet John Muzzarelli, a prominent at the court of Guidubaldo da Montefeltro, protected from Bembo and dall'Ariosto. The long domination of the Papal States was interrupted only twice: in 1523 when the castle and its countryside were sold for a few months, the Medici as a guarantee of payment of a debt in 1797 because of conquest by the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte. Now we have reached the threshold of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Italy. During sommovimenti Risorgimento, erupted throughout the Romagna, participated Mondaino motions to Rimini of 1845 with a large group of patriots, supported by the motto Freedom civil, secular Government, Public policy.The center was annexed to the Kingdom of Savoy in 1860, when troops crossed the Piedmont Tavollo (then border between the two kingdoms: the papal and Italian).
The main attractions
As a strong impact, visible from the valley floor, with its imposing a time is the Fortress Malatesta, valuable architecture fourteenth century. From a bull by Pope Sixtus IV states that the construction of the fort is the work of mondainesi. However, subsequent speeches, took the lords of Rimini, make it a typical construction Malatesta. Sigismondo Malatesta Pandolfo had built during his government, well 13 towers, formwork, the wide walls and underground walkways (carved into the tufa, in the male, ready to be used in case of siege as tanks or in the case of defeat as a safe escape route) discovered, the latter in 1987. Inside the fortress can be admired today, the Madonna del Latte, beautiful (XV.) Sweets Bernardino Castel Durante, and the Museum of Palaeontology mondainese tripoli. The tripoli is a sedimentary rock, formed in the course of millennia, through storage and fossilization, on the seabed, microscopic skeletons of diatoms and radiolari. We can now find, set on cliffs of this complex, specimens of fish and plants lived ten million years ago during the Miocene. The deposit of Mondaino, among the most important in Italy, returned well 21 different species of ittioliti, as well as teeth of sharks, sea urchins, shells and items paleobotanici. The museum has some stems of Roman origin. Recently left the fortress can admire another masterpiece of this small town: the characteristic Piazza Maggiore, with its neo-classical portico, the work of Francis Cosci, place that did give Mondaino funny nickname of the country frying pan (in fact, the structure Recalls that the clearing of this instrument for cooking). The enchanting scenery urban ideal stage for a series of festivals like the medieval Palio del Daino (the second half of August) that every year with different theme tournaments, conventions, exhibitions, parades all dedicated to the great moments of the past. In the historical centre are also the Convent of the Poor Clares, with choir and wooden crucifixes of the seventeenth century. In the parish church of St. Michael the Archangel, built, according to ancient documents, on the ruins of a Roman temple to Diana.Inside you can admire interesting canvases by G. Picchi (XV sec.), a deposition of Pomarancio (XVI.) Three beautiful altars decorated with flowers and fruits to the eighteenth century.
Of note, Experimental Arboretum of Flora Mediterranean, with the museum, greenhouse and refreshment area, a true oasis greenery which are collected 2,000 specimens of various species of flora Mediterranean.. Mondaino is also known as country music through a series of important industries of musical instruments and production craft of ancient date as that of Mr. Geri, who is responsible for the repair and manufacture of accordions. Music is also the protagonist of several appointments entertainment programme cultural summer. The cultural heritage is also enriched by the contributions of fractions of today's common Mondaino. Take for example the ancient Church of St. Apollinaris (sixth century.), Located just outside the walls, at Pieggia, and the Monastery of St. Francis (XIII.), Located sull'ameno hill Formosino, which has kept intact the simple restaurant atmosphere of the Franciscans.