Number of residents : 130.479
Height sea : m 6
Distance from Riccione : km 10
The history of the municipality
Situated in a position particularly favorable to the foot of a hill where the presence is attested since the Paleolithic period, the city of Rimini reflected in current plant its first urban Roman accommodation. It is founded in 268 BC as a colony of Latin law, or as a city controlled by Rome, but with its own military and administrative autonomy: the ancient name of Ariminum comes from the river Marecchia, which stood at the existing settlement, born as a centre port and road junction.
In 90 BC Rimini was elevated to City Hall and entered the Aniense tribes. In 359 AD was the seat of a council held by Costanzo II. In the sixth century belonged to the Byzantine Maritime Pentapolis, before falling into the hands of the Lombards.
From the seventh century belonged to the domain of the Church. At Municipal, with the economic rebirth of the city and urban planning began after thousand, connecting the main monuments still present, starting with the walls (XI-XII century). Its municipal autonomy was recognized in 1157 by Frederick Barbarossa and the Pope and then confirmed by Frederick II. At the end of the thirteenth century, the upper hand for the family of Guelph Malatesta on the Ghibellines of Parcitadi, the city transformed his government from "municipality" to "lordship ". The early Renaissance in Rimini was strongly influenced by lordship Malatesta, established at the end of the thirteenth century, touched the apogeo in fifteenth with Sigismondo Pandolfo. Niece of Carlo Malatesta (which you must, in 1417 the accommodation of the port in conformation current), Sigismondo celebrated figure of his patron, Prince and leader in the creation of two large monumental works: the Castle and the Temple.
Fall after a series of ups and the luck of Malatesta, in 1509 the city returned under the full ecclesiastical jurisdiction: the city is so concerned, especially denies second half of the century, signs of an economic upturn and cultural who also translated into major tissue Urban (as the transformation of the main squares, the creation of new roads). The culture Rimini risenti then the climate of renewal that grew out of the religious reform of the Council of Trent. Crucial was, by 1627, the presence of Jesuits in the city where it is necessary, in the eighteenth century, the founding of a college and a church.
Expression of will and secular culture of the seventeenth century are the library building and left the city by Alessandro Gambalunga. By the eighteenth century continues and grows in high society Rimini, the interest in research, history and art in the spirit the Enlightenment. While several are in Rimini the eighteenth architectural presence of the seventeenth century Rimini remain rich testimonies mainly paintings, mostly gathered in the city museum: works survived the destruction of buildings (particularly churches) caused by the war.
With the arrival of Napoleon's troops (1796), the city sees oppressed, converted to places of public interest and social or even destroyed its many religious buildings. In a certain sense, the eight hundred continues to maintain the cultural vitality of the previous century.
It remains famous "Proclamation of Rimini" launched on March 30, 1815 by Gioachino Murat in an attempt to provoke a war of national liberation against the Austrians and with which esortavano Italians gather in a strong union to free the country from foreign domination. The revolution of 1831 remains one written by Giuseppe Mazzini (Une nuit à Rimini) and the Manifesto Luigi Carlo Farini (1845). The proclamation of the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy takes place on March 12, 1860 after a plebiscite that revealed a compactness at least suspected (4,802 yes and two no).
Is of eight hundred discovers that the city "Marina": the cultural and economic polarisation on tourist whose image rotates around the symbolically "Kursaal" (1874). Within the old town, as well as interventions such as urban type of accommodation garden square Ferrari (where there was an ancient and isolated where ever have been brought to light in'91 remains a splendid "domus" Roman), others - monumental architectural interventions relate to the construction of the theater, built and designed by Luigi Poletti (1857) and then, with the Twentieth Century, the creation of the Grand Hotel, that the project acronym urban expansion of the city towards the sea, representing the most prestigious "conquest". After the war, with the pressure of the phenomenon and the high tourist population growth, the city continues its expansion, incorporating new areas that transforms into residential neighbourhoods and productive.
Today Rimini, in addition to being a tourist destination known throughout the world, is characterized by the presence of small and medium-sized belonging mainly to the field of engineering, industry, food appeared and footwear. In recent years, the construction industry has made great strides.
But tourism is the vocation to make the lion: 1433 hotels, over 16,000 houses and apartments for rent, 385 restaurants, 43 nightclubs and between 523 pubs, breweries and coffee.
The city is not only linked to the summer tourism. His vitality lasts all year: between 33 entities fair in the national rankings, that Rimini is in the sixth position. And with the extension of the tourist season has increased the number of hotels open all year, went from 168 to 82 in 85 in 191.
The main attractions
Arch of Augusto - was built in 27 BC by decree of the Roman Senate in order to honour Octavian Augustus for having restored the Via Flaminia and the most important roads of Italy.The monument has been completely isolated, as a great triumphal arch: originally joined the celebration function of the monumental door urbica, because it was incorporated into the city walls and flanked by two stone towers.The medieval battlements crowns dates back to the X-XI century.
Tiberius Bridge - After Corsican Augustus is out of the city through a large Roman stone bridge of Istria, said Tiberio, but actually started under the Emperor Augustus and Tiberius terminated by (between 14 and 21 AD) as a result of receiving engraved on two fronts internal parapet. While the Arch of Augustus triumphantly concludes the Via Flaminia, this bridge marks the beginning of the Via Emilia.
Temple Malatesta - The temple, until 1447, was a modest Franciscan church. It was chosen by Malatesti as a place for their burial: hence the decision of Sigismondo Pandolfo you build a large chapel and then radically transform the whole church. Inside was reformed by Veronese de Matteo 'Pasi while exterior architecture mise hand Leon Battista Alberti, who conceived of a new coating of marble design. Unfortunately, the temple was incomplete in its most significant, that is, in the round dome which was to conclude. The construction was stopped due to lack of funds on the part of Sigismondo. Inside the temple, in the second chapel on the right is secured a fresco by Piero della Francesca, representing Pandolfo Sigismondo Malatesta kneel in front of San Sigismondo. In the third chapel on the right is the large crucifix placed on board by Giotto painted around 1312. Of great artistic value also carved angels musicians from Agostino di Duccio, the Chapel of Planets, so called for the representation of the zodiac signs and planets correspondents, and the Chapel of the Fallen, with a beautiful marble portal with four biblical heroes.
Sismondo castle - Initiated in 1437, was designed as a palace and fortress together as a venue for the court and the garrison and as a sign of power and supremacy of the city. It suffered significant transformations in the sixteenth century and in 1826, when they were lowered some towers, destroyed the outer wall, filled the gap. The building, with its mighty walls scarp, has maintained all its charm, now hosts musical events of the Festival Malatestiana.
Church of San Giuliano (via San Giuliano) - In the ancient village of San Giuliano, is the church the same name. Already Benedictine church, known since the ninth century, rebuilt in the sixteenth century. to the altar greater keeps a large altarpiece by Paolo Veronese (1588) and third chapel to the left of a polyptych Bittino from Faenza (1409).
Port Gervasona and Walls Malatestiane (via Madonna della Scala) - The port is 1753, but that the side walls and surround the whole village San Giuliano belong to the fifteenth century.
Church of Our Lady of La Scala (via Madonna della Scala) - Built in 1611 and renovated several times. Hold on a Madonna painted in 1608 by Alessandro Codrini.
Walls Medieval (via Northern Forts and over) - were built in the twelfth-thirteenth century, but restored several times, especially in the fifteenth century.
Arco Francesca (via Northern Forts) - So popularly known as the Gothic arch that was the door next to urbica Marecchia, now reduced to ruins partially buried. In the fifteenth century was called Port Galliana.
Palazzo Briolini (Corsican d'Augusto) - Built between 1508 and 1510 by the family Monticoli. It has undergone several changes and has been seriously damaged by the war.
Church of Santa Maria to Nives - exhibition hall (Corsican d'Augusto) - Attached originally exclusive hospital was rebuilt in the eighteenth century and restored in 1987.
Church of Servants (Corsican d'Augusto) - Originally fourteenth century, was rebuilt in the last quarter of the eighteenth century designed by Gaetano Stegani and stucco Antonio Thirty-nine.
Garampi Palace (Piazza Cavour) - Center of the Town, erected by Carduci (1562) designed by Serlio, was rebuilt in 1687 by Francis Garampi from which it took its name.
Arengo and Podesta Palace(Piazza Cavour) - Roman Gothic crenellated building built in 1204 the first. The second one, as the date of construction, 1334. Both were restored in 1924.
Monument to Paul V (Piazza Cavour) - Built by citizenship as a sign of gratitude in 1614. The bronze statue, designed by Nicholas Cordier, Sebastiano Sebastiani, during the French invasion was hidden into San Gaudenzo bishop and martyr, patron saint of the city was restored in 1940.
Old Fish market and Fontana (Piazza Cavour) - The Fish Market was built at the initiative of the municipality's plan by Giovan Francesco Buonamici in 1747. The fountain is perhaps Roman origin, but its current form dates back to the Middle Ages.
Theatre Amintore Galli (Piazza Cavour) - Built and designed by Luigi Poletti between 1843 and 1856, and opened in 1857 with l ' "Aroldo" by Giuseppe Verdi. Destroyed by the war, is surviving the beautiful neoclassical facade with reduced and the main hall Ressi.
Campanile Santa Colomba (square Malatesta) - Datable to the thirteenth century, is all that remains of the Cathedral of Rimini, destroyed in the early decades of the nineteenth century.
Gambalunga palace (via Gambalunga 27) - V built in 1610 by Alessandro Gambalunga and those with donated testament to the common legacy (1619) along with the Library, which is one of the oldest and most important in Italy.
Museum of the City (via Tonini 1) - Corsican development of the building that was the Jesuit College, built in 1749 by Alfonso Torreggiani. Keep the artistic and archaeological collections in the city, particularly rich in Romany mosaics, sculptures and paintings from the Renaissance and Baroque.
Canevone of Venice (via Tonini) - This is an old warehouse of goods at the Venetian property of Our Lady of Mercy. Its structure still many parts fifteenth.
Oratory of Crocina - exhibition hall (via Francolini - via Mentana). Ancient church called Old Cross, founded in the sixth century. It was rebuilt in 1713.
Port Montanara (via Guerrazzi - behind the Temple Malatesta) - It was at the bottom of the Cardo Maximus, the current Via Garibaldi, and was formed by two tubes. It goes back to sillana. destroy during the last war, the tube survivor was recovered and reassembled.
Ripa palace (Corsican d'Augusto) - The facade is the work of John Benedictine (1850).
Tingoli palace (Corsican d'Augusto) - The eighteenth century, almost completely rebuilt after the devastation of war.
Giovannini palace - already Rubber (Corsican d'Augusto) - The facade is the work of John Benedictine (1864).
Clock Tower (Three Martyrs Square) - Built in 1547 and rebuilt in 1753 and designed by Rimini Giovan Francesco Buonamici. In addition to a normal dial for hours has a marking days, months and lunazioni (c. 1760).
Church of Paolotti (Three Martyrs Square) - Reconstructed in 1963. It is decorated with frescoes by Achille Funi and his pupils (1963-1964).
Temple of St. Anthony (Three Martyrs Square) - As a plant sixteenth, but almost completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1672, recalls the "Miracle of Mula" made on this square by St. Anthony of Padua.
Column of Julius Caesar (Three Martyrs Square) - Cippo sixteenth that sorreggeva a stone (lost with the war) traditionally referred to as the podium from which Caesar had arringato troops after the passage of the Rubicon.
Arcades ofThree Martyrs Square (Piazza Three Martyrs) - This square hole of the ancient Roman city, has always had arcades. Existing at the upstream, are small part medieval.
Church of St. Augustine (Via Cairoli) - built in the thirteenth century by Augustinians with the title of St. John the Evangelist and renovated in the eighteenth century by good artists of Bologna. In the chapel, and bell important heavens pictorial school Rimini of the fourteenth century.
Church of St. Gaudenzo (Piazza Mazzini) - Founded in 1856 and rebuilt after the war. Its owner protector of the holy city, was headed an ancient shrine (completely destroyed at the beginning of) just outside the village XX September.
Church of San Bernardino (via Bertola - via San Bernardino) - Built in 1759 and designed by Giovan Francesco Buonamici which is the last work. Outside stucco statues of Charles Sarti within major paintings by Donato Creti.
Buonadrata palace (Corsican d'Augusto 62) - facade of the first years of the nineteenth century.
Church of Santa Croce (via Serpieri) - Built by the Confraternity of the Holy Cross in 1625, expanded and decorated with stucco Carlo Sarti and paintings by Giovan Battista Costa in the next century.
Arch of Augustus (on the southern limits of Corsican d'Augusto) - Port urbica "honorary", built in 27 BC by order of the Roman Senate to commemorate the restoration of the main roads of Italy by Caius Julius Caesar Octavian Augustus. It marks the end of the Via Flaminia (which begins in Rome).
Church of St. John the Baptist (Via XX September) - There was already in the twelfth century but was completely rebuilt in 1767 by the Carmelites.In the first chapel on the left is a noteworthy Guido Cagnacci altarpiece depicting the Madonna and Child and three Carmelite saints (e. 1637).
Ghetti Palace (Via XX September) - Built in 1857 and designed by John Benedettini.
Church of Santa Rita or SS. Bartolomeo e Marino (piazza Gramsci) - Originally dedicated in San Marino, then the Saints Bartholomew and Marino. It is planting sixteenth and an apse with frescoes and paintings by Giorgio Peaks (1595) and beautiful inlaid choir (1494).
Roman amphitheater (via Vezia - via Rome) - It was built in the second century AD immediately outside the city walls and near the seaside. It remains the ruins, only partially excavated. His arena, 74x45 m, was almost as large as the Colosseum.